Elba is reachable by many ferries and speedboats with daily crossing, which take an hour (30 minutes by Corsica Ferries). There are 10 km, which separates the island of Elba from the mainland. The ferries connect Piombino with Portoferraio and Rio Marina. There is also a hydrofoil for the only transport of passengers, which runs in just 20 minutes from Piombino to Cavo and then to Portoferraio in another 15 minutes. To achieve our hotel, once arrived at the port of Portoferraio, follow the signs “all directions”, in the little village Procchio take left towards Marina di Campo, in Marina di Campo turn at the roundabout towards Cavoli. The following street is the “Costa del Sole”. After Seccheto, Fetovaia is the village of Pomonte. Once arrived in Pomonte, turn immediately to the sea on the left side and after a few meters you will see the hotel Sardi. For those who arrive by ferry in Rio Marina, just follow the signs for Portoferraio and then continue the journey as described above.
Road distances from Pomonte:
- Portoferraio – Pomonte: 30 Km
- Porto Azzurro – Portoferraio: 15 Km
- Rio Marina – Portoferraio: 27 Km
Moving on the Island
We highlight the contacts of the taxi station and the CTT, public transport company that connects all major villages of the island.
- Taxi: 0565.915112
- CTT: 0565.914392 / 800.317709
- From North: Freeway A12 direction Genova-Livorno. Exit at Rosignano. Continue on the S.S Aurelia until exit Venturina – Isola d’Elba and from here continue to Piombino Marittima.
- From North-Est: Freeway A1 direction Bologna-Firenze-Pisa-Livorno, exit at Rosignano.Continue on the S.S Aurelia until exit Venturina-Isola d’Elba and from here continue to Piombino Marittima.
In alternative: take the s.g.c. Firenze-Pisa-Livorno , exit at Firenze Signa and continue on the S.S (super street) until the Collesalvetti exit. Re-enter the freeway and continue to Rosignano Marittimo and there, take the s.s to Venturina and therefore, from here continue to Piombino Marittima.
- From South: Freeway A12, direction Roma-Grosseto.S.S Aurelia exiting at Venturina-Isola d’Elba. Continue to Piombino Marittima.
It is possible to reach the island also by plane; in fact there is an airport on the Elba Island in proximity of Marina di Campo, in the town of La Pila, where connections with various Italian and European cities are active.
The airlines operating in this airport are Silver Air Italia, Intersky and Skywork connecting the island of Elba with Germany, Switzerland, Austria, with direct flights to Milan, Pisa, Florence, Zurich, Bern, Altenrhain, Vienna, Berlin, Munich, Hamburg and Dusseldorf.
We note the phone numbers and other contact information of the airport in La Pila, Elba (Alatoscana Ltd.), which is located about 17 km from our hotel away: tel. 0565/976011 Fax: 0565/976008.
Piombino Marittima is reachable with a short train ride from Campiglia Marittima, small station, which is located on the road from Rome to Grosseto and Livorno to Pisa.
For more information on fees and timetables visit www.fsitaliane.it.